How Surfline’s new smartwatch app is about to change the way you look at surfing.
Technology has never been easier to use. Basically, if you can operate a computer — and we know you can because you’re doing it right now — you can enjoy the benefits of Surfline Sessions. The whole process consists of a few simple steps, outlined below.
To use Sessions, you need three things:
- An iPhone
- An Apple Watch (Series 2 or greater with GPS; you don’t need cellular)
- The Surfline App
Sessions is a new feature to the existing Surfline App. So, if you already have the app, just update it and you’re good.
If you don’t have the Surfline App, download it free from the App Store.
Anyone can use the data-tracking features in Sessions – waves ridden, top speed attained, and the length of your longest ride. If you want Surfline camera videos sent directly to your phone, you will need a Premium Membership.
The good news? You can sign-up for a free, 15-day trial.
Once you have the app, you’ll need to pair it with your Apple watch. Do this in the Watch App on your phone.
Open Watch App > Tap Surfline under “Installed on Apple Watch” > Tap “Show App on Apple Watch.”
Pre-Surf Check List
Before you paddle out, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- In order to receive video clips, you must surf in front of a Surfline Camera.
- Make sure the battery on your watch is fully charged. It can’t record if it’s out of power.
- It’s a good idea to have a proper sports band on your Apple Watch. We recommend UAG.
Track Your Sessions
Okay…time to go surfing.
- Before you paddle out, open the Surfline App on your Apple Watch.
- Tap the START button.
- Swipe right and tap LOCK to prevent buttons misfiring in the water.
- Go surf.
- When you’re finished, swipe right again and tap END.
View Your Rides
In about the time it takes to get out of your wetsuit, your session should be uploaded to your phone and ready for you to view. (Cell service and Wi-Fi depending.)
- Open the Surfline App on your phone and tap the Sessions icon in the menu at the bottom.
- Pick the date of the Session you wish to view. The most recent will be on top.
- Swipe up from the bottom to see your rides.
- Tap the Map button to see the GPS overview of all your rides. The green ride is the one currently in the video player.
- Tap the List icon to see each ride listed with Time, Distance and Speed.
- Tap on any ride to open it in the player.
When surfing at spots with multiple cameras, you can change the angle of the clip in the video player by tapping the Multi-Cam icon.
To mark your favorite clips, tap the Star next to the ride.
Tap the Sort icon in the middle-left of the screen to filter rides. You can sort by chronological order, length of ride, max speed, attempted waves and favorites.
Share Your Rides
When you get a good ride and want to share it with friends or post it to social media, here’s what you do:
- Tap the More Options icon (ellipses) on the right side of each ride to open these options.
- Tap Share to open the sharing options on your phone.
- From here, you can select whatever option you prefer — text message, email, whatsapp, Twitter, or simply Save Video to your phone. (For Instagram, save your video and then post from Photos.)
If you’re posting clips to social media, be sure to include the hashtag #surflinesessions